"The Russia Report" -Released 21st July - around 10:30am

Cornish_Damo

Re: "The Russia Report" -Released 21st July - around 10:30am

Post by Cornish_Damo »

There's really not much to get excited about here.
Items 41 through 48 suggest the govt was too lazy to bother preparing for any risk of Russian interference, no govt body wanted to take responsibility for it. They couldn't even be arsed to watch RT or Sputnik to see if they were saying stuff deemed influential and even after the fact, couldn't be bothered to see whre mistakes were made and what could've been done to improve going forward.

Cornish_Damo

Post by Cornish_Damo »

Items 49-56 are more interesting.
The introduction of the UK investor Visa Scheme brought in under John Major drew Russians and their money like moths to a flame. No questions asked about where the cash was from, they welcomed it. With so much cash they could buy influence and we became the go to place for their money laundering activities. This isn't especially new news, but what is more disturbing is the claim in item 52 that it's impossible to disentangle Russian financial ties from business and all that can be done is to mitigate it. Surely any business benefiting from Russian money bought in exchange for influence should be shut down? Why do we need to accept this? Don't get it.
Item 54 throws certain Lord's under the bus for having Russian financial ties which they don't need to declare. As is typical with this report, no names are mentioned, but if they are known, they should be removed and legislation is needed to do that - saying what is needed is one thing, doing it is another of course.

Cornish_Damo

Post by Cornish_Damo »

Aside from that it's very dry stuff. No names mentioned anywhere and although Russian influence amongst politicians is mentioned, it fixates on the House of Lords, not the Commons and doesn't really deal with political parties at all, no doubt redacted out. There is very little here to get excited over.

voice britannia

Post by voice britannia »

We are reading! We are almost finished our brief write up then will be over

voice britannia

Post by voice britannia »

OK, so the key findings (probably more).
The report states :
*Russian influence in the UK is the new normal.
*Russia created an ‘industry of ‘enablers’ including lawyers, media people, accountants, and estate agents who are wittingly or unwittingly agents of the Russian state.
*The UK is clearly a target for Russian disinformation.
*Social media companies must take action and remove covert hostile state material: Government must ‘name and shame’ those who fail to act.
*We need other countries to step up with the UK and attach a cost to Putin’s actions.
*Government are advised to bring in legislation to stop future interference.
*Proper investigations into Russian interference in the UK needs to happen, the ICS state “government have failed to act” or protect the state from Russian interference.
*RT and Sputnik named for their ability to quickly push ‘Russian narratives’.
The report is quite beefy. the problem is that it references massive meetings which will also need to be read through. It all seems really dry ad the main problem is that any bombs were hidden within the report, probably won't be very powerful without the rest of the adding up around it done.

This is where fours come in handy, we can repost the whole thing paragraph by paragraph and rip it apart!

BrownDoff

Post by BrownDoff »

I've just read this precis (it's not a report really). Whilst it points to government not taking requisite actions regarding Russia, these will be easily and conveniently dismissed. For me, what is ominous and and sinister, is that is does not address any concerns regarding any potential interference with regards to leaving the EU. With the publicly known interactions of Banks and Cummings in the East, I find it telling that there is essentially 'nothing to see here'. Colour me disappointed but not surprised.

Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith »

I can understand the disapointment from some, as it does seem mostly boring. The way to see this investigation is as a door to other, more serious areas where Russian influence may have been allowed to creep in, or stopped before it could have became a problem. I am following up something which has came from a tip, that while directly it does not seem connected, the implications the report create are again, damning. (It will take a few days, it started with a tip one from a fellow contributor).

The biggest take from it all is the avoidance of investigation , as stopping investigations will absolutelly have enabled it all.

Its going to take a few days to work through the entire report. but im going to try. It would be cool if we could start picking its apart here.

carlcaulkett

Post by carlcaulkett »

I wonder if Keir Starmer will come out with all forensic guns blazing tomorrow in PMQs?

@triggerit

Post by @triggerit »

Haven't had time to read it all yet but seems odd that the gov has just sat on it 🤔🤔

Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith »

I still need to read alot of it ( I have half printed).

My gut feeling is that the real information is linked to the references which was used for the report, many of them not fake. An unredacted version will eventually come out.