In January this year, the competitions and markets authorities held a ‘consumer law investigation’ into ticket resale specialist StubHub UK. The CMA identified a range of issues that may have meant the company was breaking consumer law.
During the investigation, the CMA found that StubHub UK were :
- failing to adequately warn people that tickets may not get them into an event.
- using misleading messages about ticket availability.
- targeting UK consumers with tickets for events listed on overseas versions of their websites, which may not comply with UK law.
- failing to ensure people know exactly where they will sit in a venue.
- failing to take sufficient steps to ensure that the full addresses of business sellers are displayed.
At that time, the CMA had reprimanded StubHub UK, as they had not been complying with promises they had previously made to the CMA ‘clean its site up’ following previous investigations into ticket reselling websites.
The CMA has announced it is now satisfied that StubHub UK has resolved the issues by taking steps to :
- adequately warning people where tickets bought on the UK site may not get them into an event.
- removing inaccurate messages about ticket availability.
- no longer advertising tickets for overseas events that may not comply with UK consumer law.
- ensuring people know exactly where they will sit in a venue.
- taking sufficient steps to ensure that the full addresses of business sellers are displayed.
In yesterdays statement the CMA mentioned that new issues with ticket reselling sites, in relation to cancellations and refunds have been reported.
The CMA issued the warning: “If it emerges that consumer protection law is being broken, the CMA will consider whether further action might be necessary to address these issues.”
Thanks for reading! Like millions of other small businesses in the UK, we received no help from Government and we were not given the choice of furlough, all we could do was work, which in most cases is for free.
If you would like to help Voice Britannia grow, donate to via Paypal, and help us take on the mainstream!